A person who lives nearby or next door is a neighbor.
- Our next door neighbors are very nice people.
- Bob borrowed a lawn mower from his neighbor and returned it when he was finished using it.
- Vince and Olivia sent over a plate of cookies to welcome their new neighbors.
- The neighbors who live a few doors down are having a party this weekend.
The word "neighborhood" is the place in which people live.
- Vy and Nguyen are looking for a nice neighborhood to move into.
- The neighborhood they live in now is kind of dangerous.
- We have a lot of children in our neighborhood.
- Daniel’s neighborhood is becoming a little too expensive, so he’s moving.
The word "neighborly" is an adjective that describes the kind actions of a neighbor.
- That’s very neighborly of you. Thank-you.
- The woman across the street sent over some flowers from her garden. That was very neighborly.
- Don Wilson isn’t taking care of his house or his yard. That’s not very neighborly.
The word "neighboring" is also an adjective that means something is close.
- A neighboring county experienced severe thunderstorms last night.
- Countries neighboring Syria are nervous about the civil war in that country spilling over its borders.
- A big fire required extra help from neighboring towns.
This is a very nice neighborhood!
Click here to learn more words.
August 30, 2013