To follow or enforce rules is to be strict.
- That teacher is very strict. She’ll quickly give out a detention for misbehavior.
- Anyone who appears before that judge has to be careful because he’s so strict.
- Marlene’s doctor put her on a strict diet.
- Nelita’s supervisor is very strict about employees being on time for work.
- How strict are you with your kids?
- Pay strict attention to the directions on the application. Any mistakes could delay your request.
The adverb form for this word is "strictly."
- The students at that school strictly follow the rules.
- The speeding laws are strictly enforced in this area.
- Our conversation was strictly confidential. (I can’t tell you what we discussed.)
If you need help with the pronunciation of the "str" sound, click here.
Click here to learn more words.
|Your donations help keep this website free for people around the world. Thanks! |
February 25, 2013