A yard is a grassy area just outside of a house or a building.
- There’s a lot of clover in my yard.
- Most houses in the United States have a front yard and a backyard.
- The yard is a good place to grow vegetables.
- Kids like to play in the yard.
- Some people have only grass in their yard. (How boring!)
- You use a lawnmower to cut the grass in your yard.
- Afterwards, you can relax.
A yard is also a unit of measurement. One yard is equal to three feet. It’s a little smaller than one meter.
- Use a yardstick to measure things. A yardstick is 36 inches long, or you can say it’s three feet long.
- There are 100 yards in a football field.
- A person who is six feet tall is two yards high. (But don’t use yards when describing a person’s height. Use feet.)
Do you have trouble with the "y" sound? If so, click here to practice the pronunciation of the "y" sound.
Click here to learn more words.
|Your donations help keep this website free for people around the world. Thanks!
This page was first published on February 21, 2013. It was updated on January 27, 2017.