The word "previous" is an adjective that means before.
- Jake’s previous job was in the construction industry. Now he’s a mechanic.
- Laura’s previous apartment was too small, so she moved.
- I’m sorry I’m late. I had a previous appointment that went long. (to go long = more time than expected)
- We discussed all of this in a previous meeting. Don’t you remember?
Add "ly" to the end of "previous" to form the adverb, "previously."
- The information was not known to the general public previously.
- Do you know where she worked previously?
- They were previously engaged to get married, but something happened and they called off the wedding.
- Previously, on All My Children, Erica discovered something disturbing about her new husband. (A description like this one exemplifies an update for viewers of a television program such as a soap opera.)
Click here to learn more words.
July 14, 2013