A link is a connection. This is a good word to know when using the internet:
- Most links on a website are blue and underlined.
- The links make it possible to navigate a website or surf the internet.
- The link at the bottom of this page will bring you to additional words to study.
- The blue links to the left will bring you to lessons in English grammar and usage.
People who use the internet often create links. In this case, you can use the word "link" as a verb:
- The pages on this website are linked together. (This sentence is in the passive voice.)
- Many websites are linked to this one.
- If you are on Facebook or have your own website, you can link to this website so that your friends will find it.
You can also use the word "link" when describing a relationship or people and things that are joined together.
- Two people can be linked together by marriage. (This sentence is in the passive voice.)
- People all over the world share common links to ancestors in Africa, Asia, and Europe.
- A chain is a series of links.
- Ideas and theories can be linked.
- Do you believe there’s a link between climate change and human activity?
Click here to learn more words.
June 23, 2013