When something is available, you can get it or you can have access to it:
- Books are available for you to use at a library.
- A good education is available at public schools.
- John needs to get to the airport. Is there a cab available?
- There aren’t any offices available for rent in the building. They’ve all been rented.
- The bathrooms on this floor are unavailable because they’re being renovated.
- I need to see the doctor. Are there any appointments available for this afternoon?
A person can also be available:
- The doctor is available after 2 p.m. this afternoon.
- Our teacher is available to speak with students after class is over.
- U.S. military forces are available around the clock.
- Emergency services are available 24/7.
- Mr. Johnson isn’t available right now. You’ll have to leave a message on his voicemail.
- When are you available today?
The word "availability" is a noun:
- The availability of some natural resources is limited.
- Let me check my availability for that day.
- Whether or not she can make the meeting depends on her availability.
Is she available today?
Note: Sometimes the word "available" is used to describe a person who is not currently in a romantic relationship. If a man or a woman is available, he or she does not have a wife or a husband, a girlfriend or a boyfriend.
- A: Tony thinks Denise is hot.
- B: Really? She’s available. He should give her a call.
Click here to learn more words.
March 19, 2013