The word "contribute" is a verb that means to give help or to provide effort in the success of something:
- Angela contributed food and money to a homeless shelter last year.
- How much did you contribute to charity last year?
- Tom’s hard work is contributing to the success of the company that he works for.
- Students who contribute to classroom discussion make the class more interesting for everyone.
- The burning of fossil fuels contributes to global warming and climate change.
As a noun, this word becomes "contribution."
- Angela made a contribution of food and money to a homeless shelter.
- How much of a contribution did you make?
- Tom’s contribution to the success of the company has not gone unnoticed.
- Students’ contributions to classroom discussion make the class more interesting.
- Over ninety percent of scientists worldwide believe that the increased contribution of greenhouse gases to the atmosphere will create permanent damage to our planet.
Click here to learn more words.
First published on May 16, 2013. Updated on May 3, 2017.