A pad is generally a surface, but there are many different kinds of pads:
notepad / pad of paper
- Many people use a mouse pad under a mouse.
- A frog rests on a lily pad.
- A mattress pad provides additional comfort to a mattress.
- Anything that is padded is usually more comfortable.
- She’s wearing knee and elbow pads for protection.
knee and elbow pads
- He’s moving into his new pad.
(Sometimes the word "pad" is used in place of the noun, "apartment.")
a new pad
You can also used the word "pad" as a verb. In this case, it means to add more:
- She’s padding her salary by doing extra work around the office and collecting overtime.
- They’re going to pad their chairs with new cushions.
- The bird padded her nest with dry grass.
The word "padded" is an adjective:
- A padded chair is more comfortable than one that it unpadded.
a padded chair
Note: An iPad is a tablet computer made by Apple. The reason why they named it "iPad" is because it can function as a notepad does, but there are many things that you can do with an iPad other than take notes.
Click here to learn more words.
May 4, 2013