To promote someone or something is to push it forward or advance it.
- The company is promoting a new product.
- The government is trying to promote a new health insurance option.
- Brian was promoted to a managerial position. (He was given a better job and more money at work.)
- His company promotes people who are enthusiastic, ambitious, and hard working.
- Brad Pitt is promoting a new film.
When changed to a noun, this word becomes "promotion."
- Brian got a promotion. He’s making more money and he has his own office.
- Sheila turned down a promotion because it would have required too much time away from her family.
- A big promotion for a new electric car hit the airwaves last weekend. (hit the airwaves = it was on radio and TV, probably the internet, too.)
- Promotions for the new film included celebrity appearances.
The word "promotional" is an adjective:
- Brad Pitt made a promotional visit on a TV show.
- Promotional items were given out for free at the event.
Click here to learn more words.
May 14, 2013