The word "quarantine" is used when a thing or a person is isolated from the general population due to a contagious disease or a potential problem.
In these sentences, "quarantine" is a verb:
- The man was quarantined until he could receive proper medical treatment.
- A passenger from the flight was quarantined because he was suspected of having avian flu.
- The government quarantined the area as it feared an outbreak of disease.
- The people were quarantined for 40 days in order to treat and contain their tuberculosis.
In these sentences, "quarantine" is a noun:
- The man is under quarantine until doctors are sure that his disease is not communicable.
- Living in quarantine is difficult if you are confined to a hospital building.
- A ship was placed in quarantine because the U.S. government feared it contained invasive species of plants and animals.
Click here to learn more words.
November 17, 2013