If you eat or drink something really fast, the word "gulp" could fit the situation. It’s generally not a good thing to eat or drink too quickly, but people do it.
- The children gulped down their food and then went outside for recess.
- I once knew a guy who could gulp down a McDonald’s Big Mac sandwich in two bites.
- If you always gulp your food, you could get indigestion.
- Ted had just enough time to gulp down some breakfast before leaving for work this morning.
- Listening to people gulp their food isn’t pleasant.
This word is also commonly heard as a noun:
- My dog can eat just about anything in one gulp.
- A snake can eat a mouse with one slow gulp.
- Gulping down food isn’t healthy. ("Gulping" is a gerund in this sentence.)
- Sandra finished her coffee with a single gulp.
- Roger went to 7-Eleven to get a Big Gulp. (This is a cold drink at a well-known convenience store here in the United States.)
He could eat this entire sandwich in one gulp,
but it would be better if he didn’t.
Click here to learn more words.
August 25, 2014