To relapse is to fall back to a previous position or situation. This word is only used when a situation gets worse.
This is how you use it as a verb:
- Janet had been feeling better after her surgery but then suddenly relapsed.
- Tony quit smoking last year, but recently he has relapsed and now he smokes a few cigarettes every day.
- Economic experts doubt that the U.S. economy will relapse and enter a new period of rececssion any time soon.
This is how you use "relapse" as a noun:
- Immediately after her surgery, her condition improved, but now she’s experiencing a bit of a relapse.
- Tanya’s relapse towards depression was due to the death of her cat.
He’s experiencing a relapse.
Click here to learn more words.
August 7, 2014