A king is a male leader of a country or a group of people with a common interest. In the past, a king was all-powerful and appointed by God. These days a king usually has limited power and is overseen by a congress or a parliament or other elected body.
- The King of Norway came here to visit our state.
- One of the most famous kings in British history was King Henry VIII (the eighth).
- England has had a lot of kings and queens.
- A king is almost always married to a queen. The first male child born of a king is a prince. In some countries a prince becomes the next king.
- A king has many important duties.
- The area of land and property under the control of a king is called a kingdom.
He’s the king. He’s wearing a crown.
There are other ways to use the word "king" that go beyond the description above.
- In the United States, a man who dominates a particular industry or form of entertainment might be called a king.
- Elvis Presley is regarded as the king of rock’n’roll.
- Michael Jackson is the king of pop (popular music).
- A king in the game of chess is the most important piece. If you lose your king, you lose the game.
- There are four kings in a deck of cards.
- In blackjack, a king is worth ten points.
- Chilldren enjoy playing King of the Hill. The object of the game is to remain standing at the top of a hill.
Click here to learn more words.
December 11, 2014