A niche is a special area of expertise or a skill. It may be limited to a small number of people or a small demographic* area. We often hear people finding their niche, which means to discover a talent within oneself.
- Abel found his niche as an importer of Peruvian-made jewelry.
- Charlene has finally found her niche working in the cosmetics industry.
- Xavier is still trying to find his niche. (These three examples show the popularity of using "find" with "niche.")
- Many businesses thrive in New York City due to the existence of niche markets not found elsewhere.
- Snowboarding, once a niche sport, is now popular wherever there’s snow.
- Product placement in movies and television shows has grown from a form of niche advertising to one that is more mainstream.
*demographic: a group of people identifiable by gender, age, race, level of income, interests, geography, etc.
Click here to learn more words.
January 14, 2014