The word "brace" is often used as a verb. It means to support or prepare. When people get ready for something difficult or dangerous, they brace themselves.
- Leonard braced himself before the nurse gave him an injection.
- Residents near the ocean are bracing for the arrival of a big storm.
- Christine tried to brace herself just before her car ran into a tree.
- Brace yourself for the heat. It’s going to be hot today.
- Family members of the downed airplane are bracing themselves for bad news.
The word "brace" can also be used as a noun. In this case, a brace is used to provide structural support.
- A brace was placed underneath the old building to help provide additional support for the foundation.
- The braces on his legs help him walk.
- Sheila is going to have the braces on her teeth taken off today. She’s so excited.
He’s wearing braces.
Click here to learn more words.
July 19, 2014