The word "stretch" is used when making something longer or when making something last longer. It’s similar to "pull," but we use "stretch" with things that are elastic or flexible.
- After a long night’s sleep, most people stretch as they awake.
- My cat stretches when she wakes up from a nap.
- Peter woke up from a nap, yawned, and stretched.
- It’s important to stretch your muscles before and after you exercise.
- You have to make your money stretch if you have a big family.
- How do you make your money stretch? (How do you try to save on your expenses?)
He’s stretching his legs.
- Chuck has stretch marks on his body from years of weightlifting.
- The story the man told the police was a bit of a stretch. (a stretch – not really the truth)
- To believe that cars could one day drive themselves was once considered a huge stretch of the imagination, but now it’s a possibility.
- As the horses came into the final stretch, it was clear which one would be the winner. (the final stretch = the last part of a race or a period of time.)
Click here to learn more words.
July 1, 2014