A challenge is a difficult situation; however, it can increase the strength of the person who meets or overcomes the challenge. This word is generally used to create a positive impression.
In these sentences, "challenge" is used as a noun:
- Vicky faces many new and interesting challenges in her new job.
- Learning English can be a real challenge for some people.
- Raising six kids was a challenge for Bob and Linda, but they did it.
- Today’s soccer match against Belgium poses a challenge for the U.S. team.
You can also use "challenge" as a verb:
- This puzzle challenges anyone who decides to solve it.
- This hot weather is challenging the electrical grid.
- Mario challenged another man to a fight.
- This test will challenge the students.
- The students will be challenged by this test. (passive voice)
Add an "ing" to create an adjective:
- This is a challenging book.
- The test was challenging.
- These are challenging problems that need to be addressed.
One insect challenged another in a fight to the death.
Thanks to Olga who suggested today’s Word of the Day!
Click here to learn more words.
First published on June 30, 2014.