When the word "bust" is used as a verb, it means to break something or arrest someone.
bust = arrest
- When he dropped the bottle on the floor, it busted.
- He busted the bottle.
bust = break
|Note: Be careful when using the word "bust" to mean break. Often, the word "break" is better.|
When the word "bust" is used as a noun, there are a few other meanings for the word to consider:
bust = an arrest
- This is a bust of the Roman emperor Tiberius.
- Many museums contain busts of famous people.
bust = the sculpted head of a person
- The dress she’s wearing shows off her bust.
bust = a woman’s chest
Note: This word also refers to a situation that turns out to be worthless:
- The event was a bust. (Few people showed up.)
Click here to learn more words.
May 20, 2014