November 6, 2014 – Word of the Day: function
Use the word "function" when describing how or why something works.
- This computer doesn’t function very well. (It doesn’t work very well.)
- How does this function?
- It that old TV still functioning?
- Eva doesn’t function very well under pressure.
- Sergey is functioning as both the producer and director of the movie.
How does this function?
The word "function" also functions as a noun:
- The function of the teacher in the classroom is to help students learn.
- What’s the function of the heart within the body?
- Oswaldo doesn’t understand his function within the company.
- The gala we’re attending is a huge social function that raises a lot of money. (function = gathering of people for a purpose)
- What’s the function of the word "him" in this sentence?: We gave him a ride home. (Answer: It’s the indirect object of the verb.)
- How does that word function in the sentence?
The word "functional" is an adjective:
- This computer is no longer functional. (It’s no longer working.)
- Functional medicine attempts to identify the root causes of a health problem.
Click here to learn more words.