There are many different ways to use the word "chip."
Potato chips are a popular snack.
Many people serve chips and dip as appetizers at a party.
Tortilla chips with salsa are also very popular.
- Chips are used in place of money when playing poker or roulette.
- Chips are used for processing in computing devices. This is a microchip.
- A chip can be a form of damage or a defect.
- If you bite down on something hard, you might chip your tooth.
- Chips of paint fall off of a wall when the paint gets old.
- The paint on this wall is cracked and chipped.
The word "chip" is commonly used as a verb.
- Edward chipped his tooth on something hard.
- The sculptor uses a hammer and a chisel to chip away marble or stone to create a sculpture.
- A ceramic plate might chip if you don’t handle it carefully.
- Everyone at the office chipped in and bought a wedding gift for Sandra.
- Do you want to chip in for a pizza?
There are a couple expressions that use the word "chip."
- Tanya has a big chip on her shoulder. (Her behavior is affected negatively due to something in her past.)
- John is a chip off the old block. (He’s very similar to his father.)
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
August 3, 2015