Half of something is 50 percent (50%). As a fraction, it’s represented by a one over a two (1/2). As a number, it’s written with a decimal point before a five (.5).
half a watermelon
- Let’s split this watermelon in two. You take half and I’ll take half.
- It took half an hour to drive to work. (half an hour = 30 minutes)
- The first half of Renee’s day was spent in meetings. She spent the second half of her day in her office.
- After the first half of a Superbowl game, there’s a half-time show.
- Edgar spent the first half of his life living in Honduras and the second half of his life living in the United States. He’s 50 years old. How many years did he live in Honduras?
The plural for this word is halves.
- Two halves make a whole.
- The world is split into two halves: the northern hemisphere and the southern hemisphere.
There are a few expressions that use the word "half."
- I’ll need to discuss this with my better half. (better half = a spouse, husband or wife)
- Half a loaf is better than none. (Something is better than nothing.)
- The team is better by half compared to last year. (better by half = a noticeable improvement)
- Six of one, half a dozen to the other, it doesn’t matter what you call it. (No matter what term is used, the situation is what it is. There’s no difference.)
Half of this loaf is sliced. The other half is unsliced.
Click here to learn more words.
February 8, 2015