A sheep is a common farm animal that is valued for its hair and its meat. The plural form for this word does not have an "s": one sheep, two sheep, three sheep.
- We saw some sheep while driving on the highway.
- Farmers bring their sheep to the state fair to compete for prizes.
- A sheep goes "baaaa."
- The meat from a sheep is called mutton.
- The hair of a sheep is called wool. Wool is popular material for winter clothing.
- A group of sheep is a flock. A shepherd is a person who manages a flock of sheep.
- A baby sheep is called a lamb.
- Sheep are docile, easily-led animals. Sometimes people are compared to sheep in a negative way.
- 2015 is the Year of the Sheep on the Chinese calendar.
- If you can’t get to sleep at night, try counting sheep.*
*Note: This is a commonly cited method for someone who can’t get to sleep. Sheep are imagined and counted, one by one. This is supposed to cause sleepiness. However, I believe there are better methods for falling asleep.
Click here to learn more words.
February 19, 2015