To dance is it move one’s body in rhythm to music or to move the body in a way that is purposeful or communicates meaning.
- People dance at wedding receptions.
- Someone is dancing in the room next to us.
- Sophia dances to music when she’s alone in her bedroom.
- Gloria and Julio danced together all night.
- What kind of music do you dance to?
- Do you want to dance? (This is an invitation.)
- Would you like to dance? (This is also an invitation.)
The word "dance" can also be used as a noun. In this case, a dance is an event. It’s something that people attend., or it’s something that people can study.
- Matthew asked Jennifer to go to a dance with him.
- Most high schools in the United States host dances.
- The dance lasted until 11 p.m.
- Edward is studying modern dance in college.
- The polka is a form of traditional dance.
- Bharata Natyam is a form of classical Indian dance.
The word "dancing" is a gerund:
- Gloria and Julio went out dancing.
- They like to go dancing on the weekend.
- Dancing is a good form of exercise.
The word "dance" is often used as an adjective:
- Audrey works as a dance instructor.
- She works at a dance studio.
- She gives dance lessons.
Click here to learn more words.
January 5, 2015