January 21, 2015 – Word of the Day
An upgrade is an improvement. This word has gained popularity in recent years when a business or an individual wants to improve something that exists. The word "upgrade" also refers to a better offer for a customer:
- The hotel offered us an upgrade on our hotel room.
- The airline offered us an upgrade on a flight to New York.
- An upgrade is available if we want to rent a car that’s a little nicer.
- A free upgrade is available for this computer program.
- Check to see what kinds of upgrades there are.
This word is often used as a verb:
- Todd really needs to upgrade his wardrobe. (His clothes are old; he needs new clothes.)
- You should upgrade your computer’s operating system to something that’s newer.
- The furniture in the office needs to be upgraded.
- Would you like to upgrade your reservation?
- We upgraded to first class. (This happens on a flight.)
Many people have noticed that Ron is upgrading his wardrobe.
Click here to learn more words.