To dedicate oneself is to pledge loyalty and effort to a cause or to a group. A person makes sacrifices in order for something to be successful.
- Sharon dedicates a lot of time to her studying.
- She’s a dedicated student.
- She is dedicated to becoming a doctor.
- Andrew dedicated himself to a career in the military.
- He dedicated his life to his country.
- He was a dedicated soldier.
- Many Americans dedicate their lives to service for their country.
- A parent should be dedicated to his or her children.
- A teacher should be dedicated to his or her students.
- A politician should be dedicated to the people who elected him or her to office.
The word "dedication" is a noun:
- Sharon’s dedication to her studying will pay off in the future.
- To be a good athlete requires a lot of sacrifice and dedication to self-improvement.
- The young man’s dedication was impressive.
- What is your level of dedication to your job?
They’re very dedicated to their jobs.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
First published on July 4, 2015