The word "whine" is used when a person is complaining or unhappy about something.
- Vanessa is whining about her boss again.
- Toshi never stops whining about his neighbors.
- The students whined to the teacher that they were given too much homework to do over the weekend.
- Please, don’t whine.
- Stop your whining.
- Instead of just whining, you should do something about the situation.
The word "whine" is also used to describe a high-pitched sound. This sound can come from a machine or a person.
- There’s a whining sound coming from somewhere near the engine of my car.
- Do you hear that whine?
- My computer is making a whining sound.
- The baby started to whine when he realized his mother had left the room.
- Our dog whines when she’s hungry.
He’s whining because he’s out of milk.
A person who whines is called a "whiner."
- No one wants to work with Bruce because he’s such a whiner. He complains about everything.
- The owner of the company doesn’t tolerate whiners.
- Don’t be such a whiner.
Note: The pronunciation of the word "whine" is exactly the same as the word "wine."
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
July 23, 2015