To kidnap is to steal a person and hold him or her in secret until a ransom (money) is paid for the person’s release.
- A local man was kidnapped and held until his family paid a million dollars for his release.
- Thieves kidnapped the man because they were unable to find any money in the house that they were robbing.
- A ransom was paid to the kidnappers and the man was returned to his family. (A person who kidnaps is called a kidnapper.)
- Kidnapping is common in some parts of the world, especially in countries where lawlessness prevails. (The word "kidnapping" is a gerund.)
- Kidnapping is a very serious crime in the United States.
A rich man was kidnapped and held
until his family paid a ransom.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
March 11, 2015