March 16, 2015 – Word of the Day
To pant is to breathe heavily after exercising or moving the body. Panting may also be caused by a medical problem.
- Tony is panting because he just walked up five flights of stairs.
- Diane pants whenever she goes for a run.
- The dog is panting because he’s hot.
- A man came into the hospital sweating and panting. He didn’t know what the problem was.
- Why are you panting?
The word "pant" is also used as the singular form for the word "pants," the clothing that a person wears on his or her legs. "Pant" is also used as an adjective for the word "pants."
- The left pant has a hole in it.
- There’s a problem with these pants. One pant leg is longer than the other.
- What’s your pant size?
- Many business women prefer a pant suit over a dress when they are at work. (A pant suit is a suit for women.)
- Hilary Clinton is often seen wearing a pant suit.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.