To determine something is to identify or find the reason something happens:
- Doctors have determined the cause of the man’s illness.
- A plumber is trying to determine where the leak in the pipe is coming from.
- The mechanic looked at my car and determined the reason it was making noise.
- How much money you make determines the amount you pay in income taxes.
As an adjective, if a person is determined, he or she is focused on achieving a goal through hard work and perseverance:
- Tommy is determined to get better grades in school.
- The company is determined to make a profit this year.
- We all admire Joe because he’s so determined to do well at work.
The word "determination" is a noun:
- Through sheer determination, the rescuers were able to save ten people from a house hit by the earthquake.
- It requires grit and determination to be a successful business owner.
- Despite financial difficulties and a personal crisis, the young woman’s determination helped get her through college.
He’s determined to become a great guitarist.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
May 4, 2015