When bread is pushed down into a toaster, it takes just about a minute for the bread to become toast.
- I’m making toast.
- Many people like to have toast for breakfast.
- What do you like on your toast?
- Do you like butter or jelly on your toast?
- If bread is kept down in the toaster for too long, the result is burned toast.
The word "toast" can also be used as a verb:
- Joe toasted some bread and ate it for breakfast.
- It smells like someone is toasting bread.
- If you toast the bread for too long, it will burn.
Another, completely different use for this word is when there is a ceremony or a gathering of people and someone wants to say something to honor another person. People raise their glasses and listen to the words spoken in the form of a toast.
- Roger’s best friend made a toast to him and his bride during the wedding reception.
- Toasts were made throughout the evening.
- After the glasses were filled with champaign, a toast was made.
- I’d like to propose a toast.
- A toast was made in honor of Bob Smith, a well-respected man who had recently died.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
May 19, 2015