When something is useless it’s no longer needed, it isn’t helpful, it’s damaged, or it’s too old.
- The information we got from the old book was outdated and useless.
- An umbrella is useless during a heavy thunderstorm with high winds.
- This cell phone is useless without the battery.
- The man’s legs were useless when an accident left him paralyzed from the waist down.
- Some people say that trivia is useless knowledge.
The word "useless" is often used to describe a situation.
- Talking to him is useless because he won’t listen.
- It’s useless to shovel snow during a blizzard.
- Trying to rescue survivors after the earthquake seemed useless, but people tried anyway.
- When the soldiers saw the size of the opposing army, they realized it was useless to fight, so they surrendered.
Continuing to fight seemed useless, so he surrendered.
The word "uselessness" is a noun:
- The uselessness of digging with a shovel quickly became apparent when they hit solid rock.
- The woman felt a sense of uselessness after she lost her eyesight, but then she learned to adapt to her new situation.
- The uselessness of war is evident throughout human history, yet countries continue to fight against each other.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
May 20, 2015