A nurse is a person who provides medical care. He or she also assists doctors.
- Before I saw the doctor, the nurse took my blood pressure and asked me questions about my physical and mental health.
- During the operation, several nurses assisted the surgeon.
- The health care system in the United States is in need of many more nurses, now and in the future.
- The abbreviation for a registered nurse is RN; the abbreviation for a licensed practical nurse is LPN.
- Nursing is a good profession for people who really want to help other people. (The word "nursing" is a gerund in this sentence.)
The word "nurse" can be used as a verb.
- The patient was nursed back to health. (This sentence is in the past tense, passive voice.)
- Brian is nursing a broken arm. (He’s taking care of his own arm that is broken.)
- Women nurse their babies. (In this case, to nurse means to provide breast milk.)
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
November 16, 2015