The word "oral" is used when discussing things done with or for the mouth.
- A routine oral examination is done by a dentist who checks for cancer or other diseases of the mouth.
- Brushing and flossing your teeth daily is necessary for good oral hygiene.
- Nadine needs oral surgery to fix something that’s wrong with a tooth.
- It’s said that some people who like to smoke or are always chewing gum have an oral fixation. (That means they need to have something in their mouth.)
- People who don’t like injections might prefer to have medicine administered orally. (The word "orally" is an adverb.)
- An oral presentation is a requirement in some English classes. (Students have to give a speech.)
- The teacher is going to give an oral quiz to students today. (The students listen to the teacher’s questions and write answers on paper.)
- Vanessa is preparing for her orals this week. (oral tests)
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
November 17, 2015