To react is to respond to something. Something happens and then there is a result. There could be a change or no change at all.
- Passengers on the bus reacted with anger when they were told to get off and wait outside for a new bus to show up.
- The children reacted with glee at the sight of the newly fallen snow.
- Nataly didn’t react well when her boyfriend broke up with her.
- How do you think the students will react when they find out they have to take another test this week?
- The patient is reacting well to the new medication.
How do you think he will react?
What will be his reaction?
The word "reaction" is a noun:
- What was the woman’s reaction when she heard the news?
- Mario had a bad reaction to his new medication, so the doctor prescribed something else.
- There was little to no reaction among the people of the country when they found our their leader was dead.
- We’re expecting a positive reaction from our employees when they find out we’re raising their salaries.
- The falling of dominoes is a good example of a chain reaction.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
First published on November 21, 2015