November 25, 2015
A virus is a small organism that attaches to a cell and causes diseases and infections. A virus is passed from one person to another through physical contact, but it can also be transmitted through the air or through the bite of an insect.
- A deadly outbreak of the Ebola virus in Liberia caught the attention of the entire world last year.
- A flu virus can spread easily, so it’s a good idea to get a flu shot as protection from the virus.
- To protect yourself and others from viruses, it’s important to wash your hands frequently.
- Disinfectants can kill viruses.
His stomach flu was caused by a virus.
A virus is also a problem for computers and mobile technology.
- Donna’s computer has a virus.
- If you aren’t careful about what you download from the internet, your computer can become infected with a virus.
- Virus protection is available for your computer.
A virus tries to get into your computer.
| If a virus finds its way into a computer that is unprotected, it can do a lot of damage to the files on your hard drive.|
The word "viral" is often used when describing the sudden popularity of a video, a song, or a website on the internet. In this case, going viral is good.
- Thomas posted a cat video on YouTube and it went viral.
- Isabel produced an app that went viral and made over $50,000 on it.
- If Joe’s website goes viral, he said he would quit his job and focus on producing websites and mobile apps.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.