A cave is a natural formation of open space underground. It takes thousands and thousands of years for a cave to form as a result of water erosion or other natural forces.
- Some caves are long and deep.
- The air inside a cave is usually cool and damp.
- People like to go into caves and explore them because they’re so interesting.
- A person who explores and studies caves is called a spelunker.
- Bats are often found living in caves.
- In prehistoric times, people lived in caves. You might hear them referred to as cavemen.
The word "cave" is a verb. When something caves, it falls through or collapses, or a person gives up on something.
- The roof of the tunnel was weak, so eventually it caved in. (The roof of the tunnel fell in.)
- Negotiators for the hostages caved in to the kidnappers demands.
- The soldiers caved when they realized the strength of the forces they were fighting.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
September 3, 2015