- A car has a lot of metal in it.
- Coins are made of metal.
- Most tools are made entirely or partly of metal.
- Metals such as copper and aluminum are good conductors of electricity.
- Gold and silver are precious metals.
- A metal roof is a good choice for houses located in areas prone to fires.
- Metal detectors are used at airports for scanning passengers before they board planes.
- When a metal such as steel oxidizes, it turns to rust.
The word "metallic" is an adjective.
- Metallic paint gives the appearance of metal on any object that’s painted with it.
- If you put aluminum foil in your mouth, you’ll experience a metallic taste. (Don’t do it!)
- Furniture with metallic features looks very modern.
One last thing to mention about metal: This is also a type of rock music that is very fast and very loud. It began in the 1970s and it remains popular today.
- My friend, Roger, listens to metal.
- He’s a metal head. His hair is really long, he wears a lot of black clothing, and he has tattoos all over his body.
- Metal bands like Slayer and Metallica are popular among people who listen to heavy metal.
Note: The "t" in this word sounds more like a "d."
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
September 14, 2015