To realize is to begin to understand or comprehend:
- The student didn’t realize he had made a mistake until someone pointed it out.
- When we realized how much a new car was going to cost, we decided to buy a used car.
- Frank finally realizes how much his family means to him.
- No one realized how much pain Felicia was in until she went to the hospital.
- You won’t realize a profit on your stocks until you sell them. (The word "realize" is often used to describe a person’s loss or gain of wealth.)
- After realizing huge losses, the company went out of business.
He doesn’t realize that he talks too much.
The word "realization" is a noun:
- The owner of the company came to the realization that he would have to start laying off employees.
- Following the sudden realization that their water supply was about to dry up, the farmers made a decision to move.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
September 18, 2015