If something is common, it’s ordinary, regular, normal, or popular.
- A common form of transportation is the car.
- A common form of communication is the phone.
- Road construction is a common problem to deal with in the summer.
- It’s common to say hello upon greeting another person.
- Most people suffer from the common cold at one time or another.
- A basic understanding of the physical world is now common knowledge among most educated people.
- "Bob" is a very common name in the United States.
- Television is a common form of entertainment.
- At first, the internet was not a widely-accepted form of communication for people, but now it’s commonplace. (commonplace = average; ordinary. Note that "commonplace" is one word)
They make a good couple because they have a lot in common.
The word "commonly" is an adverb.
- Most people commonly say hello upon greeting another person.
- Salt and pepper are commonly used in flavoring food.
- The idea of an omniscient (all-knowing) God is a commonly held belief.
- Marriage is a commonly accepted practice around the world.
Note: When two people share the same beliefs and interests, we say they have a lot in common.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
August 23, 2016