A person who desires something, wants it very much. This word is often associated with passion and longing.
- What do you desire? (What do you want?)
- Is this what you desire?
- Henrietta desires a career in nursing.
- Yolanda desired a large family when she was younger, but she’s still happy with the small family she has now.
- If there is something that you really desire, you should work towards the goal of attaining it.
- I have a strong desire for a cheese and sausage pizza.
In these sentences, "desire" is a noun:
- Tell me your desire.
- What is your heart’s desire? (one’s heart’s desire is a common phrase)
- You can eat to your heart’s desire at a buffet.
- Thelma has many desires, but she keeps them secret.
- Hassan has a desire to learn English really well.
- Rosa has a deep desire to get married.
- The desire for a quiet life is what prompted Baldo to move to Iowa.
She has a deep desire to get married.
Date of publication: December 4, 2016