A person or a thing that is very, very large or has a lot of influence might be called a giant.
- American football players look like giants when they have on all of their equipment.
- At six foot eleven inches, the man looks like a giant when standing next to other people.
- Steve Jobs was a giant in the home computer industry.
- Henry Ford was a giant in the automobile industry.
- Patricia says she has a giant headache.
- There’s a giant rabbit in my backyard.
- Reynaldo grew a giant tomato.
Giants are also characters found in children’s stories and in fiction. Businesses and professional sports teams use the word "giant."
- The New York Giants play football in New York.
- The San Francisco Giants play baseball in San Francisco.
- In Jack and the Beanstalk, Jack meets a giant who tries to eat him.
- Giant bicycles are sold at bicycle shops.
- You can buy Giant sunflower seeds at a grocery store.
- The Jolly Green Giant is the mascot for Green Giant, a distributor of vegetables in Minnesota.
- The Giant Slalom is a form of downhill skiing in which skiers ski between gates.
Click here to learn more vocabulary.
Date of publication: December 12, 2016