To announce is to provide information through speaking or writing. An announcement usually regards something that is important.
- Maria and David announced that they were getting married.
- Walter will announce his decision to leave the company or remain where he is.
- Amina was thrilled to announce that she’s expecting a baby.
- The airline announced that flights would be delayed due to bad weather.
The word "announcement" is a noun:
- Did you hear the announcement?
- The teacher made an important announcement.
- Daily announcements at school are made over the intercom.
- Wedding announcements are sent out several months before a big wedding takes place.
A person who make announcements is called an announcer.
- Radio announcers inform listeners of the time, the weather, and the latest news.
- Football announcers describe what is happening during a football game.
- The announcer could not be heard because the public address (P.A.) system was full of static.
He needs to make an announcement.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
January 1, 2016