A mob is a group of people. A mob forms in reaction to an event. Mobs are usually hard to control, and sometimes mobs participate in illegal activity such as vandalism, fighting, or rioting.
- A mob appeared in the street following the death of a little boy who was struck by a car.
- The police were called in to deal with the mob.
- An unruly mob gathered outside of the man’s house and demanded that he come out.
- A peaceful protest suddenly turned into an angry mob when the police showed up in riot gear.
- Have you ever been part of a mob?
A mob formed in the street.
When used as a "verb," to mob someone or something is to gather around it out of excitement or enthusiasm:
- The electronics store was mobbed after it advertised large screen TVs for under a hundred dollars.
- The members of the band were mobbed when they left the auditorium.
- The young movie star got mobbed when he made an appearance at a book-signing event.
The word "mob" is also used to describe a crime organization.
- The mob was involved in the killing of three people.
- A local mob boss is a leading suspect in the crime.
- Rogelio avoids doing business with the mob.
- Al Capone was a notorious mobster.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
July 18, 2016