June 8, 2016
The word "flop" is similar to the word "failure." Anyone or anything that flops, does not perform as expected.
- The play was a flop.
- Don’t go see that movie. It’s a flop.
- His idea for a business was a flop.
- Walter did a belly flop in the swimming pool. It was quite painful for him to feel and for us to watch. (belly flop = landing in the water on your stomach)
- Stephen specializes in helping flopping businesses turnaround. (The word "flopping" is an adjective in this sentence.)
The word "flop" can be used as a verb:
- The play flopped.
- The guitarist flopped during his solo.
- Everyone flopped to the floor when they heard shooting. (flop to the floor = get down on the floor)
- The new product flopped badly and was quickly taken off of the shelves at the stores.
- The comic has flopped so many times before a live audience that he’s used to it by now.
The word "floppy" is an adjective. If something is "floppy" it’s long and covers a wide area.
- Gloria’s dog has big floppy ears.
- Zane like to wear floppy hats.
- The leaves on that plant look kind of floppy.
- Floppy disks were once popular as a means of computer storage, but now they seem outdated.
She’s wearing a floppy hat.
Her dog has floppy ears.
Floppy disks were popular in the 1980s and 1990s.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.