June 18, 2016
A hinge holds a door on a frame for a doorway. It’s screwed onto the frame and the door. A hinge is held together with a pin. The purpose of a hinge is to allow the door to swing.
- The door was squeaky, so I oiled the hinges.
- We needed to take the door off, so we pulled out the pins on the hinges.
- If the door doesn’t close properly, it’s possible that the hinges need to be refastened.
This is a hinge.
Sometimes this word is used as a verb. In this case, "hinge" means "depend on."
- The outcome of the trial will hinge on the presentation of evidence.
- Her decision to get married hinges on her parents’ approval of the marriage.
- Whether or not they get the loan hinges on their credit rating.
The word "unhinged" is an adjective that you can use to describe a person’s erratic or crazy behavior.
- Some of Donald Trump’s opponents have made the claim that he’s unhinged.
- The woman became unhinged as she went through the security line at the airport.
- No one wants to work with Darryl because he becomes unhinged so easily.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.