Click here for audio.
An arm is an important part of the human body. It starts at the shoulder and ends with a hand. People are born with two arms.
- People use their arms for lifting things.
- There’s a lot of strength in a person’s arms.
- When you hug someone, you put your arms around that person.
- Your arms go through the sleeves when you put on a shirt.
The word "arm" is also used for the word "gun."
- Americans have the right to bear arms. (They have the right to own a gun.)
- In many states, residents are permittted to carry a firearm. (firearm = gun)
- A person who is armed is carrying a weapon, usually a gun.
- A report on the news described a suspect in a crime as armed and dangerous.
- Arms dealers sell guns.
- The police are well-armed in the event of a conflict.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
Date of publication: November 1, 2016