Evidence is proof that something has happened. A person who says something is true needs to show evidence.
- Lawyers who want to show that a suspect has committed a crime produce evidence.
- A broken window is evidence that someone broke it. (It didn’t break itself.)
- Climate scientists have gathered enough evidence to indicate that the planet is getting warmer.
- There’s still not enough evidence to indicate that self-driving cars are absolutely safe everywhere.
The word "evident" is an adjective.
- It’s quite evident that Tom is failing in school.
- It should be evident to all concerned that this plan isn’t working.
- The differences in housing and the quality of life for rich people and poor people are very evident.
A lawyer produces evidence in order to prove that a suspect is guilty or innocent.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
Date of publication: October 5, 2016