An image is a picture. It can be real or imagined.
- What kind of image do you have of what a house looks like?
- You can see your image reflected in a window or a mirror.
- A film is a rapid series of photographic images projected onto a screen with light.
- Digital images are created by a computing device that converts them to visible light.
- Images of war and conflict on TV can have a negative impact on children.
- When I’m working on my website, I often insert images to help my students improve their vocabulary skills.
- You can easily find images of almost anything on the internet.
- The images captured on an old digital camera might be blurry. (blurry = a fuzzy picture with poor resolution)
An image can also be a combination of a person’s appearance and reputation:
- The young real estate agent felt her image could be improved by driving a Mercedes.
- Bob’s tough-guy image is softened by his interest in ballet.
- The company’s image was damaged as it continued to produce faulty products.
- Some politicians are more concerned about their image than about how they are able to help their constituents. (constituent = a person represented by an elected official)
- As more women enter the business world, the image of a successful executive is no longer that of a man.
Note: The word "imagery" is related to the word "image."
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
Date of publication: September 14, 2016