A grave is a place where a person is buried after he or she dies.
- There are hundreds or thousands of graves in a cemetery.
- People lay flowers on a grave in memory of the person who is lying there.
- The marker for a grave a called a headstone or a tombstone.
- A person who digs a grave is a grave digger.
- One of my students, Antonia, visits her mother’s grave regularly.
- A person is laid to rest in a grave.
The word "grave" is also an adjective that describes something that is extremely serious.
- This is a very grave situation.
- The mood of the conversation suddenly became very grave.
- The company made a grave error which resulted in the death of five employees.
- Do they understand the gravity of the situation? (The word "gravity" is a noun. gravity = seriousness)
Visitors to a cemetery leave flowers on or near the graves of loved ones.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
This page was published on April 9, 2017.