The word "action" is often used to talk about a person who is involved in doing something for a particular purpose. Action is a form of movement, or it’s a thing that a person does.
- He’s a man of action. (He likes to do thing and get things done.)
- She’s someone who likes to take action. (She likes to get things accomplished.)
- Our company took action when it realized it was in trouble.
- If you are upset about something, you should take some form of action rather than just complain about it.
- A lawsuit against the government or a person is a way to take action.
- Legal actions are sometimes necessary in order to solve problems.
- A political speech can be a call to action.
- Action movies that feature explosions, car chases, and fighting are very popular.
- Action figures are toys that are popular among children.
- Verbs of action are used to describe what a person does.
- Actions speak louder than words. (This is an expression.)
Basketball is a game with a lot of fast-paced action.
The word "action" is similar to the word "act."
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
August 1, 2017